Saturday 8 March 2014

RUGBY INTERVIEW: SEAN MAITLAND by Anna Grace


 
Sean Maitland was born on 14 September 1988 in New Zealand. Maitland previously played for the Crusaders in the Superugby tournament, but now plays for the Scotland’s national team as well as the British and Irish Lions. Maitland’s father is scottish and his mother is of samoan and maori descent. Maitland is he cousin of rugby union player, Quade Cooper. In March 2011, Maitland scored four tries in a match against the Brumbies and so equalled the record of most tries scored in a Superugby match. I asked him a few questions about his rugby career.

What is your favourite movie?
Sean Maitland: My favourite movies at the moment would have to be the Batman series, Avengers coming in a close second. Oh, and not to forget Step Brothers - that film’s hilarious!

What music are you listening to at the moment?
SM: I love all types of music but mainly hip-hop. Drake is a cool artist, and probably who I listen to most. I’m going to see him in concert soon, so I’m really looking forward to that.

When did you start playing rugby?
SM: I started playing rugby when I was just five years old, encouraged by my dad who coached me for the first three years of playing.

What are you looking forward to in 2014?
SM: I'm looking forward to the end of season tour that Scotland are going on. We’re playing in Canada, USA, Argentina and South Africa. I haven’t been to the first three places I listed, so I’m really excited about visiting that countries, as well as going back to SA. 

Who inspired you to play rugby?
SM: I would have to say my dad inspired me to get into rugby, as when I was younger I used to watch him play every weekend. He is my biggest supporter and role model, and his love for the game certainly rubbed off on me!

What is your favourite hobby?
SM: My favourite hobby is playing golf. There are some lovely golf courses in Scotland and obviously a lot of history behind them seeing as the sport was invented here.

What was your most nerve-wrecking experience on the field?
SM: My most nerve wrecking moment would have to be running out for my Scotland debut against England, in front of seventy thousand people at a capacity, at Twickenham. I was a huge back of nerves but extremely excited at the same time.

What rugby game were you most excited for?
SM: I would have to echo what I said in the last question !

Who plays the most important role in your life and why?
SM: My mum, dad and partner definitely play the biggest roles in my life. My parents have been my biggest supporters throughout my career and without them I wouldn't be where I am today.

What is your biggest dream?
SM: My dream is to live my life full of happiness and love.

If you could have any other talent, what would it be and why?
SM: If I could have a super-secret talent, it would be acting… maybe I'm just saying that because I’ve been watching the Oscars on telly?!

If you could play any other sport, what would it be?
SM: If I could play any other sport apart from rugby it would be golf, it’s a great game.

What are your plans for the future?
SM: I would love to have a long lasting career in rugby first of all. As rugby players we have very limited years in the sport so as every year passes, it's a blessing! After rugby, I would love to run my own business.

What advice can you give to young up-and-coming rugby players?
SM: My advice to young people would be to write some goals down on a sheet and hang them up on your wall so you see them every day when you wake up. That's what I did when I was younger and surprisingly enough I wrote down that I wanted to be a pro rugby player. Every time I saw the note, it made me want to achieve my goal more and more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment